Header Ads

Liverpool legend Dalglish tests positive for coronavirus

LONDON:
Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish has tested positive for coronavirus but is not showing symptoms of the disease, his family said Friday.
The 69-year-old former Scottish international striker, who started his career at Celtic, was admitted to hospital on Wednesday for treatment for an infection which required intravenous antibiotics.
“He was subsequently tested for COVID-19 despite having previously displayed no symptoms of the illness,” said a family statement.
“Unexpectedly, the test result was positive but he remains asymptomatic.
“Prior to his admission to hospital, he had chosen to voluntarily self isolate for longer than the advised period together with his family.
“He would urge everyone to follow the relevant government and expert guidance in the days and weeks ahead.”
Dalglish won the Scottish league title with Celtic as a player on four occasions before signing for Liverpool in 1977.
At Anfield, he captured eight English league titles, three FA Cups and three European Cups during a glittering 13-year stint as a player and in two managerial spells.
In his Liverpool playing career, he scored 172 goals in 515 games.
As well as his role in Liverpool’s golden era in the 1970s and 1980s, Dalglish received plaudits for supporting victims’ families after 96 fans died in the 1989 Hillsborough stadium disaster.
He also went on to coach Blackburn Rovers to the Premier League title in 1995.
Former Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard, now manager of Glasgow Rangers in Scotland, posted a picture to his Instagram page of Dalglish with one of his daughters, with the message: “Get well soon king.”
Former team-mate Terry McDermott tweeted: “Thinking of my big pal @kennethdalglish – hoping he makes a speedy recovery from this awful virus”.
Dalglish, who also made more than 100 international appearances for Scotland, was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2018.
“Kenny would like to take this opportunity to thank the brilliant NHS staff, whose dedication, bravery and sacrifice should be the focus of the nation’s attention at this extraordinary time,” added the family statement on Friday.
“He would also ask that they are given the space to do their jobs during what is an extremely challenging time for them and that his own family’s privacy is respected.
“He looks forward to being home soon. We will provide further updates as and when it is appropriate.”
The coronavirus has claimed the lives of nearly 9,000 people in Britain, while the number of confirmed cases in the country climbed Friday close to 74,000.

CANBERRA:
Ada Hegerberg’s voice in football is a powerful one given she claimed the first ever women’s Ballon d’Or, owns four Champions League titles with Lyon and has earned her place among the finest female players on the planet, all by the age of 24.
Hegerberg’s talent is matched too by a fearlessness in standing up for the rights of her gender in her sport.
She refused to play for Norway at last year’s World Cup due to perceived inequality with the men’s team and drew widespread praise after collecting her Ballon d’Or in 2018, having refused to indulge a request that she ‘twerk’ on stage.
Yet even for one of the game’s most successful players, the sprawling effects of the coronavirus pandemic bring doubt. “It’s a strange situation for everyone,” Hegerberg says in a telephone interview with AFP. “Everything is uncertain.”
Unable to see her husband in Poland or her family in Norway, Hegerberg is confined to her apartment in the French city of Lyon, where she is recovering from the anterior cruciate ligament injury she suffered in January.
She has an exercise bike, physios, who visit but maintain the health measures in place, and history books. “I’m reading Ken Follett at the moment – history in the 13th century, it takes your mind off things a bit,” she says.
Fight for prominence
But Hegerberg is concerned about the future too and she is adamant the women’s game must not be forgotten in football’s fight for survival.
“It’s very, very important women’s football doesn’t lose position,” Hegerberg says. “Obviously men’s football is in first place, with all the questions about money and when leagues will restart, but it is very important women’s football pushes for position as well.
“We will be sitting in the second row in all of this but we can’t fade into the background.”
Most women’s teams in Europe operate at a financial loss, relying instead on the profits of men’s sides until progress allows them to support themselves.
But football’s economic crash as a result of coronavirus means nothing is guaranteed.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.